By Coptic Solidarity –
Coptic Solidarity is pleased to report that Ramy Kamel has been freed from prison, after more than two extremely difficult years in solitary confinement, without trial.
Coptic Solidarity has been the leading advocate for Ramy Kamel since his initial arrest on November 23, 2019, receiving a call alerting us to his arrest. Within days, CS had published a press release alerting the English-speaking population and launched a grassroots advocacy campaign. Below is a partial list of the advocacy work Coptic Solidarity undertook for Ramy Kamel’s release.
Coptic Solidarity thanks all of our partners and supporters who participated in these initiates and helped keep his case visible. We wish Ramy & his family great joy in their reunion & as he starts the process of recovery.
Coptic Solidarity’s Advocacy for Ramy Kamel
- On October 7, 2021 a meeting was held in Washington, D.C., between Coptic Solidarity and members of the International Dialogue Committee headed by Mr. Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat and Ms. Moushira Khattab, the new president of the Human Rights Council in Egypt; Mr. Sadat had telephoned Mr. Magdy Khalil, one of the leaders and founding member of Coptic Solidarity, offering to meet at the Willard Hotel in Washington. Due to lack of time, only Mr Magdi Khalil was able to participate in the special meeting, but in full coordination with the rest of the organization’s leadership. Mr. Khalil followed-up with the delegation by phone until Ramy was released in 2022.
- Coptic Solidarity and International Christian Concern co-led a joint NGO letter to President Biden
- Coptic Solidarity and 21Wilberforce co-led in circulating a letter for signatures among members of the International Religious Freedom (IRF) Roundtable urging Congress to take action on behalf of imprisoned Coptic activist, Ramy Kamel. It was sent to the House Foreign Affairs leadership; Chairman Representative Eliot Engel (D-NY) and Ranking Member Representative Michael McCaul (R-TX), and to the Senate Foreign Relations leadership; Chairman Senator Jim Risch (R-ID) and Ranking Member Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ).
- Coptic Solidarity wrote and submitted a reprisals report to the UN on behalf of Ramy Kamel – April 2020
- Coptic Solidarity sent a staff member to Geneva to deliver a speech on behalf of Ramy Kamel – March 2020 (this was made possible due to Jubilee Campaign’s partnership)
- Coptic Solidarity recruited Rep. French Hill to be a voice for Copts immediately after he went on Congressional trip to Egypt. CS has worked with his office to draft a resolution for Copts in the 115th, 116th, and 117th Congress. CS also ensured that Ramy Kamel and Patrick Zaki be named in H.RES. 117.
- Joint NGO Statement for 1 Year Anniversary – Coptic Solidarity led with partnership of ACAT- France
- Coptic Solidarity and ACAT France – Issued joint statement on 1 year anniversary – prior to the joint NGO statement
- Coptic Solidarity launched an online petition for Ramy’s release near the 1-year anniversary of imprisonment
- Coptic Solidarity launched an online advocacy campaign in December 2019 where our supporters’ messages were sent directly to Egyptian government officials creating accountability and awareness.
- Coptic Solidarity contacted Canadian MP Garnett Genuis to send a letter to the Egyptian Ambassador in Canada on Ramy’s behalf – December 2019
- Coptic Solidarity contacted Lord David Alton of Liverpool to send a letter on Ramy’s behalf to President el-Sisi and to the Egyptian Ambassador in the UK – December 10, 2019
- Coptic Solidarity issued an immediate press release on November 27, 2019 after Ramy’s arrest and continued to publish press releases, reports, and re-publish new stories about him throughout his imprisonment.