Turkey’s terrible miscalculation in Syria has pushed its foreign policy rhetoric from "shallow arrogance" to "defensive bewilderment." Over the past five years, Ankara has claimed that "Syria, Palestine and Egypt [and other former Ottoman territories] are Turkey's domestic affairs."
In a paid advertisement published in Al-Ahram newspaper in September 2014, the Egyptian Ministry of Social Solidarity extended the deadline for NGOs to register with the government. This announcement extended the existing deadline by 45 days to mid-November; a July 2014 announcement had indicated that all NGOs must be registered with the government by September otherwise they will be subject to prosecution.
Widow with child sold for marriage after raiding Isis militants shot her husband and took them into captivity
Human Rights Watch believes hundreds of women, many of them Yazidi, are being sold into forced marriages by IS: video
Isis fighters have reportedly executed a 17-year-old boy and left his body on display on a cross in Syria.
Pictures being shared online show a banner attached to the teenager's chest saying the boy has been crucified for taking photos of Isis military bases, as well as receiving "500 Turkish lira" for any footage taken.
The recent incident of the Gabal al-Teir Coptic woman who went missing for 25 days and was declared by the security officials to have converted to Islam has raised several alarming questions. The 40-year-old mother of five is now back home with her family and insists she never converted but, as I wrote last week, this does not mean the curtain has been drawn on the incident.
A non-biased investigation is needed into the brutal police response to the wrathful protest of the Coptic villagers against police failure—rather, inaction—to find the missing woman and bring her home.
The Maspero Youth announced that it will organize a protest Thursday in front of the Journalists' Syndicate, to condemn what they called violations against the Coptic residents of Sharbat village in the district of Amreyya in Alexandria.
The sectarian clashes reportedly erupted on Friday Jan. 27 when Mahmoud Te'ma, a barber, claimed that 34-year-old tailor Morad Gerges snapped pictures of Muslim girls in the fitting room of his workshop.
However, according to Ramy Kamel, a Coptic activist, Te'ma tried to extort money from Gerges, but when he refused Te'ma spread the rumor. Te'ma was later arrested, he said.
"A number of Muslim residents attacked Gerges' home and when they didn't find him, they abused his family," he said, claiming that the attack was led by Salafi leaders in the village.
Daily News Egypt could not independently verify this claim.
Kamel claimed that the homes of 11 other Coptic families were also attacked, forcing them to flee to nearby villages where they have been in hiding since.
Protesters will be demanding the arrest of the perpetrators and compensation for their burnt homes and shops estimated at around LE 5 million.
They also want to express their refusal of collective punishment meted out to Coptic residents without distinction.
"We learned that some residents of the village are calling for a mass protest dubbed 'Friday for the displacement of Copts'," the Maspero Coptic said on its official Facebook page, pointing out that there have been attempts over the past few days to displace 54 Christian families from surrounding villages.
The added in its statement that threatening to displace unarmed citizens because of to their race or religion is not only a domestic crime but a humanitarian catastrophe that requires rapid intervention from the relevant authorities.
Kamel, who claims he had thoroughly investigated the events of Sharbat village, said that during the clashes security forces and army personnel watched as repetitive attacks on Copts and their property took place, but did nothing to stop them.
He says that three reconciliation meetings were held between Muslims and Copts in the village so far.
"In the first session the attackers openly demanded the forced displacement of Coptic residents; while in the second, they refused to approve any compensation for the victims, insisting on their eviction," Kamel said, adding that assaults on Copts continued immediately after the last session.
If the protests don't trigger real action, activists will take further steps to escalate the situation.
"We will no longer address the Egyptian government or society. We will reach a higher level by addressing the international community because human rights charters regard forcible eviction as an international crime where the state involved is considered guilty," he said.
The family of a Coptic student who allegedly published photos deemed blasphemous to Islam on his Facebook page was displaced from their home in Assiut, while a number of families were also forced to leave their homes following attacks on churches in Atfih and Imbaba, Kamel said.
By Heba Hesham www.thedailynewsegypt.com/AINA
Coptic Solidarity 2014 Conference
The Annual Conference was held in Washington, D.C. on June 26-28, 2014.